WESTMINSTER DRAGOONS - 2ND COUNTY OF LONDON YEOMANRY.
This famous Yeomanry regiment can trace its history
back to the Boer War. It was raised in 1901 and formed
a part of the Imperial Yeomanry Brigade in South Africa.
The Westminster Dragoons spent most of the First
World War as cavalry in the Middle East but in 1918
became 104 Battalion (Westminster Dragoons) Machine
Gun Corps and ended the war on the Western Front.
When the British Army was reorganised after the war
plans were made to raise eight armoured car companies
of the Territorial Army for the Tank Corps. The 22nd
Armoured Car Company was the Westminster Dragoons.
<< Tank Museum photo
Museum photo No. 2121/D/4 >>
For a while, following the outbreak of World War
Two it was an Officer Cadet Training Unit but subsequently
operated tanks in 42nd Armoured Division before being
incorporated into 79th Armoured Division and trained
on mine-clearing Flail tanks.
The Westminster Dragons landed on D-Day on Sword
Beach and went right through the campaign in North
Tank Museum photo No. 0330/A/3
Westminster Dragoon flails approaching Le Havre.
Today the regiment retains its affiliation to the
Royal Tank Regiment as W Squadron, The Royal Yeomanry.
The Regiment's museum is temporarily closed.