Back to the Tank Museum Bovington website Visit the Tank Museum Website
Back to home page

 
D-Day Regiments
Articles:
Home D-Day Stories Regiments Diary Articles Exhibits

Inns of Court Regiment badgeMeet the Devil's Own!

As a volunteer regiment the Inns of Court can trace its lineage back to the 16th century, to the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. The 'Inns' are Lincoln's Inn, Gray's Inn, the Inner Temple and the Middle Temple which represent the hub of the legal profession in Great Britain, acting as a centre for legal education and controlling admission to the Bar. They set the standard for legal practice in Britain.

They owe their nickname, The Devil's Own, to King George III, that being his quip when told that the regiment consisted entirely of lawyers! Naturally the regiment changed through the years, both in function and title but in 1908 it became part of the Territorial Army and took on the role of an officer training corps which it maintained throughout the First World War.

The Inns of Court O.T.C during the Great War

In 1940 the Inns of Court became an armoured car regiment in the Royal Armoured Corps and it spent the next four years learning its trade and taking part in major exercises in different parts of Britain.

Tank Museum photo No. 4838/D/3
Tank Museum photo No. 4838/D/3

When C Squadron landed on Juno Beach on D-Day it was the only true armoured car unit on shore. It faced a daunting task………

Museum

The Inns of Court and City Yeomanry Museum,
10, Stone Buildings,
Lincoln's Inn,
London WC2A 3TG (by appointment only).


©Tank Museum 2003-2005 Registered Charity Number: 274640
Most vehicles featured on this website are part of the Tank Museum collection, many are on public display from time to time. Please enquire for details Many of the photographs on this site have a Tank Museum number with them, - details on how to purchase these pictures.
Site Designed and Hosted by Web of Knowledge Ltd.