Back to the Tank Museum Bovington website Visit the Tank Museum Website
Back to home page

 
D-Day Regiments
Articles:
Home D-Day Stories Regiments Diary Articles Exhibits

Combined Operations

The distinctive badge, with its Anchor, Eagle and Tommy gun, symbolised the spirit of cooperation and harmony between the three services that Churchill expected when he createdá Combined Operations in 1940. Intended, at first, to ensure the success of commando raids and other small operations its significance grew with the appointment of Admiral Sir Roger Keyes as Director of Combined Operations after the fall of France.

Keyes was replaced by Lord Louis Mountbatten in 1941 and he in turn, handed over to Major General Robert Laycock in December 1943 when Lord Louis left for Burma

Combined Operations masterminded many of the pre-D-Day exercises that we plan to coverů

Combined operations
Combined Operations Badge

Lord Louis Mountbatten
Lord Louis Mountbatten


©Tank Museum 2003-2005 Registered Charity Number: 274640
Most vehicles featured on this website are part of the Tank Museum collection, many are on public display from time to time. Please enquire for details Many of the photographs on this site have a Tank Museum number with them, - details on how to purchase these pictures.
Site Designed and Hosted by Web of Knowledge Ltd.